1868 Koehken and Grimm Tracker Pipe Organ
One of the seven remaining instruments manufactured by the German immigrant brothers, who settled and distinguished themselves as artisans in Cincinnati, Ohio in the mid-nineteenth century. This cherished organ had been spared the wreckage of downtown Cincinnati’s urban renewal of the 1960’s. Having served the First United Church for a century, the prized instrument was dismantled and preserved by Mr. Alan Laufman of the National Organ Clearinghouse in New Hampshire.
The organ was purchased in 1980 by St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in ABQ . In 1989, when that church merged with another, they no longer needed this instrument, and generously offered it to Epiphany. On a snowy December day, a convoy of vehicles and church members went to Albuquerque to perform "the great organ transplant." In the past few years, Epiphany has underwritten a
phased plan of restoration for this beautiful instrument.