Epiphany – A History from the Mission Register
1891 -1895. Services were held at Socorro as early as Bishop Randall’s time, probably and during the episcopate of Bishop Dunlop occasional services were held by him, lots were secured and a Woman’s Guild was at work. The records of Baptisms, Confirmations, and Marriages go back to his day. These also indicate visits and visitations by Bishop Kendrick, previous to the organization of the Mission, April 8th, 1891. At this time the Bishop appointed a Mission committee as follows: DW. N. Driscoll, Warden, H.M. Dickerson, Secretary; Martin Liritz, Treasurer; A.D. Covu, and Mrs. Mary E. Rose, ex office, as President of the Woman’s Guild.
May 1st, 1891, the Mission was placed in the charge of the Bishop’s Associate at Albuquerque. Presbyter Henry Forrester, who officiated two Sunday’s a month until July 1892 when his visits were reduced to once a month. Mr. A.E. Osborne, Candidate for Order, resident at Albuquerque, going the other Sunday till and including 1892. From the first of July, 1891, Mr. W.M. Driscoll officiated as Lay reader every Sunday Morning. In the autumn of 1891, an adobe church was built, and it was opened for Divine service the first Sunday in 1892. Toward the cost of the building, the Bishop gave two hundred dollars, the Woman’s Guild contributed about four hundred, and the people of the congregation and town about six hundred dollars. Mr. Forrester, being appointed to work in Mexico, gave up his charge, officiating for the last time Sunday, 1st, 1893. Rev. Alfred Cliff took charge of Parish June 21, 1893. Held services alternate Sunday morning and Sunday evening with Evening Prayer every week. Continued in charge until the middle of July 1895. W.M. Driscoll took charge as lay leader, June 9th, 1895.